Already have access to eConsult?
Ontario eConsult Service
Provides provincial and regional multi-specialty eConsult services on the OTNhub platform. Uses the BASE™ managed specialty model and OTN direct to specialist model.
What is eConsult?
eConsult is a secure web-based tool that allows physicians or nurse practitioners timely access to specialist advice for all patients and often eliminates the need for an in-person specialist visit. Accessing eConsult through the OTNhub is free for healthcare practitioners and patients.
How is an eConsult different from an informal consultation?
In many organized care settings, when a Primary Care Provider (PCP) has a question about a patient, they can ask a colleague for advice. These “hallway consultations” happen frequently and though the PCP often gets the advice needed, there is no formal documentation of the consultation. There is also no way for the Specialist to get paid.
- Timely access to non-urgent questions (average response time of 2 days)
- Improved care coordination and collaboration between clinicians
- Opportunities to enhance learning and manage patient cases at the family practice level
- Private and secure communication portal with a simple sign-in process
- Family physicians can bill OHIP for eConsult referrals
- Supports delegate access within your practice to save you time
Benefits to Specialists
- Reduces unnecessary referrals and focuses treatment for patients on a priority basis
- Specialists can also use eConsult to access advice from other specialists
- Opportunities for knowledge sharing and improved communication with primary care providers
- Liability protection through the permanent audit trail
- Specialists are compensated on an hourly rate based on the time it takes to complete an eConsult
What Specialists are available to me through eConsult?
There are multiple options for engaging with Specialists through eConsult.
- Direct to Specialist:
Submit a case to a specific provincial provider.
- BASETM Managed Specialty Model:
Submit a case to one of almost 100 provincial specialty groups, such as dermatology, psychiatry, and hematology.
- HNHB Regional BASE™ Managed Specialty group:
Submit a case to a growing number of local HNHB (Hamilton Niagara Haldimand Brant) specialists.
How can I access the HNHB Regional BASE™ Groups?
1. Click on 'Request Consult'
2. Select 'Base Managed Specialty'
3. Select your 'Specialty' category, then select the appropriate sub-specialty which includes 'HNHB'
Want more information? Contact the HITS eHealth Office at eConsult@HITSeHealth.ca.
Sign up for the eConsult Insider here!
HITS eHealth Office eConsult Insider: September 2019
HITS eHealth Office eConsult Insider: June 2019
© 2017 HITS eHealth Office at Hamilton Health Sciences. All rights reserved. All content and materials contained within are the property of Hamilton Health Sciences Corporation and may only be reproduced with permission. Site designed : Cyberguyz Solutions